Primatial Decree of the Metropolitan Synod of the Apostolic Episcopal Church in the matter of The United Armenian Catholic Church in the British Isles
The Metropolitan Synod of the Apostolic Episcopal Church, having convened a Committee of Inquiry into this matter and having received that Committee’s Report, upon the resolution of the Primate and Presiding Bishop motu proprio decrees as follows:
- (i) Whereas the United Armenian Catholic Church in the British Isles was founded by Mar Leon (Leon Chechemian, 1848-1920) on 15 August 1889. (ii) And whereas Mar Leon held its Primacy until his retirement in 1900, when he was succeeded by Mar Theophilus (Charles Isaac Stevens, 1835-1917), and that from 1900 until 1945 its Primacy was united with that of the Ancient British Church.
- And whereas in 1945 the Primate, Mar Jacobus II, resigned his position in favour of Mar Georgius, and that at this point the United Armenian Catholic Church in the British Isles became united with the Catholic Apostolic Church (Catholicate of the West).
- And whereas on the abandonment of the Catholicate of the West by Mar Georgius on 29 November 1953 the United Armenian Catholic Church in the British Isles continued to be a part of the continuing Catholicate of the West as established previously (see Primatial Decree no. 15/2015), and remains so today.
- Now therefore the lineage of the United Armenian Catholic Church in the British Isles is therefore as follows:
- Mar Leon (15 August 1889-1900)
- Mar Theophilus (1900-2 February 1917)
- Mar Jacobus I Antipas (2 February 1917-1919)
- Mar Andries (1919-4 June 1922)
- Mar Jacobus II (4 June 1922-1945)
- Mar Georgius (1945-29 November 1953)
- Mar Paulos (29 November 1953-29 April 1965)
- Mar David I (29 April 1965-8 August 1976)
- Mar David II (8 August 1976-26 December 2000)
- Mar Timotheos III (26 December 2000-5 February 2015)
- Mar Joannes Edmundus (5 February 2015-)
(L+S) ++JOANNES EDMUNDUS
1 August 2015 a.d., no. 21 of 2015
Secretary to the Metropolitan Synod of the Apostolic Episcopal Church