Within the overall structure of the Apostolic Episcopal Church there are several church bodies which have been merged over the years. The current position is as follows:
The Ancient British Church (Catholic Apostolic Church of the West)
This church, also known as the British Patriarchate, being founded in 1874 under the authority of the Syrian Orthodox Patriarchate of Antioch, merged with the Catholicate of the West in 1945 (see that church).
>>Ancient British Church – Primatial Decree
The Ancient Catholic Church
This church, which was in intercommunion with the Apostolic Episcopal Church at its chartering by the Catholicate of the West in 1950, was placed under the primacy of Archbishop John Kersey of the AEC in 2008.
>>Ancient Catholic Church further information
>>Ancient Catholic Church – Primatial Decree
The Ancient Christian Fellowship and Divinity School of Divine Science Universal
Initially formed by Archbishop Maxey in 1930 as the Old Catholic Church of America; renamed 1936. On 31 July 1946 it merged in the AEC, but was shortly afterwards recreated as a dependent religious society of the AEC. Its headship has been merged in the AEC Primacy since the death of Patriarch Robert R. Ramm in December 2000.
>>Ancient Christian Fellowship (Old Catholic Church of America) – Primatial Decree
The Ancient Orthodox Catholic Church
Intercommunion was entered with the AEC immediately following the establishment of this church on 17 October 1943, the Old Catholic Orthodox Church (then under the primacy of the Primate of the AEC) and the Order of Antioch being two of the parties represented at the Council of London. This was reconfirmed under AOCC bishop Mar Titus (Poling). Upon the death of Mar Titus in 2015, the Primate of the AEC succeeded him as canonical head-of-line of this church.
>>Ancient Orthodox Catholic Church and Order of Holy Wisdom – clarification
>>Ancient Orthodox Catholic Church etc. – Primatial Decree
The Anglican Church, Inc.
This church was one of the Continuing Anglican churches whose Diocese of the Southwest was led by the late Archbishop H. Edwin Caudill, also AEC Archbishop of the Central and Western Provinces, USA, and his successor in both offices and from 2000, Presiding Bishop of The Anglican Church, Inc., Archbishop Wayne Ellis. The church has formally merged with the AEC.
The Apostolic Episcopal Church – Order of Corporate Reunion
This body was incorporated by the AEC in New York in 1995. In 1996, the corporation was separated from the AEC when Dr Donald Hugh left the AEC and established his own organization under its aegis as part of his Holy Celtic Synod (see below). The AEC-OCR organization that had been established within the AEC, and that had been placed under the corporation until 1996, was then re-absorbed into the AEC.
The Apostolic-Episcopal Universal Church
This church was formed in 1927 by Archbishop Brooks when he separated his ministry from the Anglican Universal Church of Christ in the United States (Chaldean) led by Archbishop George Winslow Plummer. It was redesignated as the AEC in 1930.
The Catholic Apostolic Church (Catholicate of the West)
This church was formed in 1944 from a number of small churches in the British Isles and was in intercommunion with the AEC from its foundation. In 1977 it was formally merged with the Apostolic Episcopal Church by Primate Mar David I (Maxey), who was the head of both bodies.
>>Catholicate of the West – Primatial Decree
>>Catholicate of the West – documents
Christ’s Church-by-the-Sea, New York
This church corporation was one of the original bodies that formed the AEC corporation in 1932. Archbishop Charles W. Keller, who was Rector from 1948, joined the Episcopal Church in 1950; the ministry of Bishops Perry N. Cedarholm and Harold F.A. Jarvis continued there until March 1951 when the AEC ceased its involvement with the church. The congregation of the church then voted to become a Presbyterian parish, and this still remains the case today. Friendly relations have been established between the AEC and the present church authorities, and AEC clergy have been involved in several services there in recent years.
Ecclesia Apostolica Divinorum Mysteriorum
This body was chartered by the AEC in 2010 and represents a continuation of the inner mission of the Christian Church with particular interests in the study of the Templar and Gnostic traditions.
>>E.A.D.M. further information
The Lord’s Evangelical Church
This New York church corporation, founded by Bishop William H. DuBois, was one of the original bodies that formed the AEC corporation in 1932.
The Methodist Renaissance Church of Pakistan
This church was incorporated as a diocese of the AEC in 1996 under its bishop, Fakhrud Din.
The Old Catholic Church of Great Britain
Established in 1968 as the British extension of the Celtic mission of St Tugdual de Saint-Dolay, this church has been under the Primacy of Archbishop John Kersey, now Primate of the AEC, since August 2012.
>>Old Catholic Church of Great Britain further information
The Old Catholic Orthodox Church (1925)
This church was formed by members of the Old Roman Catholic Church of Great Britain in 1925 and in 1941 entered into personal union with the Apostolic Episcopal Church when Archbishop Brooks was elected its Presiding Bishop. It was merged in the Catholicate of the West at its foundation in 1944.
>>Old Catholic Orthodox Church – Primatial Decree
The Orthodox Catholic Apostolic Church (Apostolic Church of the Indies)
This church formed circa 1938 in India and asserted that it was the successor to the Independent Catholic Church of India (Metropolis of the Diocese of Ceylon, Goa and India (excluding Malabar)) of Mar Julius I Alvares, who had died in 1923, being a presbyteral continuation of his movement. It entered intercommunion with the Catholicate of the West in 1948 (see that church) and merged with that church in 1956.
>>Orthodox Catholic Apostolic Church – Primatial Decree
The Syro-Antiochean Church
This church was established as a part of the AEC under the late Bishop Robert Amadou, who was also a priest in the Syrian Orthodox Church, and reverted to the AEC Primacy upon the death of Bishop Amadou in 2006.
The Syro-Chaldean Metropolitical See of India, Ceylon, Mylapore, Socotra and Messina
This See was re-erected in 1862 by the Syro-Chaldean Patriarch of Seleucia-Ctesiphon, and passed in due course to the English bishop Ulric Vernon Herford. It was merged in the Catholicate of the West in 1945.
>>Syro-Chaldean Metropolitical See of India, Ceylon, Mylapore, Socotra and Messina – Primatial Decree
The United Armenian Catholic Church in the British Isles
This church was founded by the Armenian expatriate Mar Leon (Chechemian) in 1889 and its primacy was united with the Ancient British Church until 1945, when it became united with the Catholicate of the West (see that church).
>>United Armenian Catholic Church in the British Isles – Primatial Decree
The Visiting Church
This New York mission church was established in June 1933 by Harold F.A. Jarvis, later a bishop in the AEC, and absorbed into the AEC later in that decade. It was highly active under Bishop Jarvis and an account of its ministry is given in our History pages.
Churches in personal union with the Apostolic Episcopal Church
The Abbey-Principality of San Luigi
Founded in 1883 and a part of the Roman Catholic Church until 1899, the Abbey-Principality was briefly a sovereign theocratic state in the Fezzan. As of 1899, under Prince-Abbot Joseph III (Archbishop Joseph-René Vilatte, also known as Mar Timotheus I), the exiled administration of San Luigi was re-established in France. Since his death, the jurisdiction has had close Anglican and Orthodox links, and includes a religious order, the Order of Antioch. Its current head is (as Prince-Abbot Edmond III) Archbishop Kersey, Primate of the Apostolic Episcopal Church.
The Byelorussian Patriarchate of St Andrew the First-Called Apostle
The Patriarchate was established in exile in 1965 under the late Patriarch Peter II Zhurawetsky, who was ordained and recognized by the Ecumenical Patriarch Athenagoras. Though exiled and marginalized, it remains the only fully continuous embodiment of the Belarusian church from pre-Soviet years. Its current Ecclesiast is Archbishop Kersey, Primate of the Apostolic Episcopal Church.