Welcome in the name of our Lord and Saviour Jesus Christ to the Apostolic Episcopal Church!
“We profess to be a Branch of the Eastern Church and, therefore, a valid branch of the Universal Church, whose Symbol of Faith is the apostolic, eastern confession, and whose Orders through Episcopal Succession are derived from the ancient Eastern episcopate which is traced back to the primitive Church of the East and to the Apostles and to Our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Rt. Revd. Arthur Wolfort Brooks (1889-1948); founder of the Apostolic Episcopal Church
The Apostolic Episcopal Church (The Holy Eastern Apostolic and Catholic Orthodox Church), founded in 1925 and recognized by the Statutes of the State of New York in 1932, is an autonomous and fully independent Christian church that combines the heritage of the Chaldean Catholic Church, of which it is an extension, with that of traditional Anglicanism. It is thus one of the older separated or “continuing” Anglican bodies currently in existence, and one of the few communions not formed by way of a split or division in another Church body.
The mission of the Apostolic Episcopal Church has not only been towards congregational outreach but has been specifically directed towards ecumenical reunion, firstly in respect of bringing together bishops of different denominations through its communion, and secondly by the creation and dissemination of an Ecumenical Apostolic Succession in pursuance of a resolution of the 1920 Lambeth Conference. This work was furthered through a formal concordat relationship with the Catholicate of the West, a British-originated union of the smaller Apostolic churches, from 1944 onwards, with the Catholicate eventually being absorbed into the Apostolic Episcopal Church. This mission leads the Apostolic Episcopal Church to be regarded by some as an “inner church”; a body whose work is as much directed towards the existing communities of Christians as outside them. It draws inspiration from the traditional “Broad Church” view of Anglicanism as a movement of unity, praying with Our Lord that “all may be as one”.
“Loyal to the Holy Scriptures, true to the orthodox Apostolic faith, diligent in service and broadminded in its attitude toward all scientific progress and intellectual approach to present day needs. In practice both sacramental and evangelical, rich in the possession of an unique liturgy which has come down through the ages from the undivided ancient Church, having the Ministry of Apostolic Succession – a combined spiritual heritage which qualifies her to minister in every community of the faithful of the Flock of Christ and to spread the Gospel by missionary effort for the salvation of mankind. United in the faith and fellowship of the Holy Apostles, wherein there has been preserved by the Word and Holy Sacraments, rites, orders and practices, the characteristic spiritual power and message of the Church of Christ for centuries – yet adapted to the spirit and needs of the present age.”
Official Statement of Metropolitan Synod, AEC, published by the Brooklyn City Mission and Tract Society (now Brooklyn Council of Churches), 1930s.
The inter-church episcopal mission of the Apostolic Episcopal Church is probably its most visible legacy today, reflected in formal agreements of intercommunion with a number of jurisdictions in the Orthodox, Old Catholic and Continuing Anglican traditions. In addition, the Apostolic Episcopal Church has absorbed a number of other churches that mainly derive from Orthodox missions. Today, the AEC is closely linked with the Vilatte Guild, based in New York. Since February 2015, when the Prince-Abbot of San Luigi also succeeded as Primate of the AEC, the Apostolic Episcopal Church has been held in personal union with the Abbey-Principality of San Luigi.
Befitting its specialized mission and nature as a gathered church, the Apostolic Episcopal Church has intentionally remained a relatively small, if geographically widespread, community. Nevertheless it has remained active and influential within its areas of interest. In the days before the Internet, the AEC published several periodicals, including The Living Church and The Tover of St Cassian. Numerous liturgical and historical publications have also testified to the engagement of its clergy with their ecclesiastical tradition and mission. Today, educational work is one of the most visible activities of the AEC. The AEC is responsible for the Western Orthodox University and Western Orthodox Academy (founded 1945) which provide education on campus and via distance learning internationally. The educational umbrella body of the AEC, the Anglican Association of Colleges and Schools, brings together the AEC’s own institutions with a number of other bodies with similar objectives.
The San Luigi Orders Charitable Trust represents the San Luigi Orders and the Apostolic Episcopal Church in the United Kingdom and administers their activities with respect to charitable fundraising. The Trust is a member of the Small Charities Coalition and Charity Trustee Network and is recognized as a charity for tax purposes by H.M. Revenue and Customs under Paragraph 1, Schedule 6 of the Finance Act 2010.